Saturday 29 November 2014

How To: Ginger Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

Hey Nibblers!

           I haven't had many gingerbread cookies in my life. It was never love at first taste for me. I love the way the cookies are decorated but, never craved the ginger goodness. But with Christmas only 27 days away, I suddenly had a craving for a gingerbread cookie. So, instead of heading to a bakery for my fix I thought I would make my own twist on the classic gingerbread cookie with the only way I know how, in cupcake form. I love how these cupcakes turned out. The ginger flavour is pungent and ties in nicely with the the cream cheese frosting to give a sweet, sour and tangy taste all in one bite.


How To:  Ginger Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting


Yields 12-14 cupcakes
What you'll need:
Ginger Cupcake component:
- 230g of self raising flour (sifted)
- 100g butter softened to room temp
- 150g of raw brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbs. ginger powder
- 3 tsp. vanilla essence
- 250mL of milk
- 2 tsp. baking powder

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 200g softened cream cheese
- 3 Tbs. of orange juice
- 1/4 cup of mixed dried fruit

How To:
The perfect rise
Ginger Cupcake:
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celcius / 350 degrees Farenheit
2. Line cupcake tin with patty pans / grease tin
3. Beat butter and sugar together until well incorporated
4. Add eggs and mix
5. Add vanilla essence, baking powder and mix
6. Add about half flour and milk and mix until well combined
7. Repeat step 6
8. Beat for a further 2 minutes to ensure all ingredients are fused well together
9. Divide batter into lined cupcake tin
10. Pop into the oven for 16-18 minutes or until cooked (check using the toothpick method at 16 minutes)
11. Let cupcakes cool for 5-10 minutes before frosting!

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting Ready
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. Beat cream cheese until it becomes creamier in texture (about 5 minutes)
2. Add orange juice and beat until well combined
3. Add mixed fruit and beat until well incorporated
4. Spoon a tsp. or two on top of eat cupcake then consume!
         Note: If you feel the frosting is too liquified for your taste, beat in a Tbs. of icing sugar until your preferred consistency or alternatively, refrigerate frosting for 5-10 minutes before serving to ensure the frosting holds its shape

          Hope you enjoyed this #CountdownToChristmas recipe. After the success of these cupcakes, I officially have an appreciation for ginger. They have converted me to the ginger loving society. My parents were skeptical at first but, have asked for me to remake these again which means they can covert the toughest of the crowds. If you do give these a try, be sure to comment below as I would love to hear your thoughts!


Nibble Away,
       
               Jo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...