Thursday 27 June 2013

How to: Fish Cakes wrapped in lettuce with guacamole.

Hey Nibblers!
       
       Fish and I aren't really friends. Leftover fish and I are definitely enemies. However, I have found a super easy way to jazz these fishes up.
       For those of you that feel like you are missing some omega 3 in your life because fish just isn't you cup of tea, I think it's a nice way to enjoy fish. It makes such an awesome snack, lunch and dinner alternative. Whipped these fish cakes in a salad and you're good to go! Healthy and delicious, how can anyone say no?

What you'll need: (Approx. makes 2 servings)
Fish Cake Component
- 50g cous cous
         Note: Usually made with breadcrumbs for the crispy texture however, cous cous works just as well
- 230g of leftover fish
          Note: I used 115g of my Mum's grilled salmon and a can of John West's 'Chilli' flavoured. Feel free to use any flavour or form of fish you like
- 1 egg


Method:
Fish cakes:
1. Prepare cous cous as directed
2. Add cous cous and egg to fish container
3. Mix cous cous, egg and fish together until well combined, season with a pinch of salt and pepper

Oh mix me!
I'm well combined thanks!
4. Divide fish portion into sections, ready to mould (I wanted 8 cakes)

8 equal portions
5. Using clean hands, mould fish mix into hamburger - like patties

I'm a fish patty!
6. Heat non-stick fry pan to medium / high heat 
             Note: The natural oils from the fish are good enough to oil the pan, however if you feel they're going to stick, add a tablespoon of oil 
7. Place fish patties into pan, cooking one side for approx. 3 minutes before flipping
             Note: Try and be patient, flipping these cakes early will mean they're not crisp and will break down



After 3 minutes on one side
8. Continue cooking the other side for another 3-4 minutes until both sides are crispy and identical. 
             Note: Don't keep flipping these cakes no matter how much you want to otherwise they won't be  as crispy/ uneven cooking
9. Serve as is with your favourite sauce(s) or continue on reading for my take on guacamole that work perfectly with these crispy fish cakes

My favourite sauces to enjoy these with are sweet chille & ranch!

What you'll need:
Lettuce/ Guacamole component
- 3 layers of iceberg lettuce (or however much you prefer)
1 medium/ large avocado
- 1 small cucumber (diced)
- 1 medium tomato (diced)
- 1 Tbs. coriander (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 red onion (diced)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice


Method:
1. Mash avocado in a small bowl
             Note: I left mine chunky but mash away if you prefer it more finely minced
2. Combine  cucumber, tomato, red onion, lemon juice and coriander to the avocado and mix well
         Note: I know traditionally, cucumber isn't usually used in guacamole dishes but, I love my cucumber and by adding all these ingredients with the avocado, it's like a salad in a bowl


Yummy guacamole!

3. Add a pinch of salt to taste
4. Assemble those fish cake lettuce wraps: Take layer of lettuce, pop on some guacamole and tear in some fish cake!




           What I love about these is how fast and easy they are to make. They're so crispy and great when you may only have canned fish in your pantry. You can customise them however you like and better yet, fall in love with leftover fish as I have.
            
            Hope you are all are having an amazing week as I have. Cheers to end of exams, finally!

Nibble Away,
              Jo x. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...